We want our customers to spend more time shipping and less time looking for answers. This FAQ section tackles our most frequently asked questions. In this article, you'll find some of the most common questions Shippo customers ask our team.
For easy navigation, use the left toolbar to scroll through questions.
Does Shippo provide boxes or packaging supplies?
Shippo does not provide shipping or packaging supplies. We're simply a label creation platform that allows you to create and purchase shipping labels to print off and affix to your shipments.
You can choose to use your own packaging material from a local supplier, but many carriers also offer supplies free of charge, depending on the service. The USPS, for example, has a large selection of free supplies available on its website.
Does Shippo provide the labels for my printer? What kind of labels should I buy?
Shippo does not supply paper supplies for printing, but you can find the label paper you need at any local office supply store or online retailer. Please be sure to purchase adhesive paper that is compatible with your printer (inkjet, laser, etc.). We support printing with standard printers using 8.5x11 inch paper and thermal label printers that use 4x6 inch label rolls. See Printer and Label Size Information.
Does Shippo provide a digital scale?
We recommend using a reliable postage scale to ensure you're purchasing the correct postage, but we don't endorse or recommend any particular unit. Shippo does not integrate directly with USB scales.
Do I have to be a business to use this? Can anyone use Shippo?
You do not have to be a business to use Shippo—anyone can sign up! Any individual can use Shippo for personal shipping. You'll need an "order" to create a shipping label:
- create one by manually typing in the sender and recipient address details
- import through our CSV upload functionality — How to Upload a CSV File
For an example of our discounted USPS postage rates, check out our USPS postage calculator.
What do I do after printing a label?
After you buy and print the label, attach it to your package and ship it! You can drop it off, or you can schedule a pickup (USPS and DHL Express only).
How can I see Flat Rates, Regional Rates, or One Rates?
When you click "create label" for an order, you'll see under Package Type that there's a drop-down menu that shows "Carrier Provided Parcels." To see Flat Rate prices, you must select the appropriate box type. If you manually enter the box dimensions rather than selecting the box type from the menu, the rates will be standard rates, not Flat Rate prices.
I use Depop — how do I change my label, get a refund, or get a new label?
Depop uses Shippo's API to power its backend shipping and checkout process, which allows its customers to print shipping labels. Depop maintains all support of its app. If you have questions about a particular order or label, please contact Depop Support, as they will be best equipped to assist you with their app.
Why were address lines 1 and 2 reversed when I printed my label? Will my shipment still get there?
Labels are generated by the carrier and sent back to Shippo for you to print. In their system, a carrier will sometimes switch the first and second address lines. The second address line printing above the first line is not incorrect and is still perfectly valid in this formation. It should have no effect on the deliverability of your packages.
I forgot my password, can you give me a new one?
Click here to reset your password. If your account becomes locked after too many failed attempts, our Support Team can reset it for you.
How can I mark my order as "Fulfilled" in Shippo?
If you purchase a label for an order in Shippo, the order will be marked as Fulfilled. For orders that need to be marked Fulfilled but that you don't plan to purchase a label for in Shippo, you'll need to mark the order fulfilled in your store platform. That will then update in Shippo automatically.
How can I intercept or redirect a package that has already been shipped?
Once a package has entered circulation with the carrier, you'll need to contact the carrier directly to see if it's possible to have the package intercepted or redirected. Each carrier has different eligibility requirements and processes for requesting this service.
If you are using your own carrier account in Shippo, please reference:
If you are using one of Shippo's master accounts:
- DHL Express: For DHL Express shipments using Shippo's master account, please contact our Support Team to see if your shipment is eligible.
- USPS: For USPS domestic shipments using Shippo's master account, please contact our Support Team.
- UPS: For UPS shipments using Shippo's master account, please contact our Support Team.
- FedEx: FedEx platform account shipments do not currently support intercept requests
The Shippo support team will always do everything possible to achieve the desired outcome, but we cannot guarantee successful intercepts/redirects.
Can I combine multiple orders into one shipment?
There is no automatic way to combine multiple orders into a single shipment, but you can do this manually:
- Print a shipping label for one of the orders, making sure to enter the correct weight and dimensions to account for both orders.
- Mark the second order as Fulfilled in your e-commerce store's order management system.
This process will not create a comprehensive packing slip or email notification with all items from both orders.
I purchased duplicate labels. How can this happen?
Purchasing duplicate labels is unlikely but can happen in one of the following situations:
- If you are creating your labels in batches and click Buy twice.
- An order is selected for batch creation at two different times in two different batches.
- When creating large batches, it sometimes does take some time for all orders on the Orders Page to update as Fulfilled. Before starting your next batch, refresh the Orders Page to give all orders time to update.
- You refresh the page or click the Back button of your browser during the label creation process without letting the label purchase process be completed.
- During batch-creation, only some of the labels are successfully created, so you start over and batch-create the same bunch again, still including the orders for which you've successfully created labels during the first try.
- The internet cuts out or slows down during or after you click Buy, so you create labels a second time.
If a duplicate is purchased, please request a refund.
Can I ship alcohol using Shippo?
Shippo supports shipping alcohol with UPS, FedEx, and Couriers.
API users can add the "alcohol" shipment extra for label purchases to facilitate shipping alcohol. Please refer to our full reference for more information.
Can I ship vape-related items using Shippo?
As of 2021, UPS, USPS, and FedEx have ended shipping for vaping products.
Shippo doesn't currently support shipping vape-related items through other carriers.
Can I change the recipient address after the label has been purchased?
Unfortunately, you cannot change the sending or receiving addresses on a purchased label. Instead, you will need to create a new label with the correct address and request a refund on the incorrect label.