Need to file a claim for a lost or damaged shipment? It's stressful, but we're here to help you navigate filing a claim.
The carrier you select to ship your package handles all physical processing and delivery of your shipments. Shippo is the label creation platform that you've used to create the shipping label, but we do not physically handle packages.
The shipping carrier you choose, such as USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc., is ultimately responsible for safe delivery of your shipment. While Shippo isn't responsible for the package and delivery itself, want to ensure you have all the information you need to file a claim.
Was there a problem with your shipment?
Carrier-provided insurance or purchasing additional insurance can help reduce your level of risk. Shippo provides the option to purchase additional insurance for your shipments using our third-party provider, Shipsurance.
For packages insured by Shipsurance:
- Shipsurance will not accept claims after 120 calendar days from the date of the shipment.
- If the package was damaged during shipment, you must notify Shipsurance and the Carrier as soon as you learn of the damage. Shipsurance will not accept claims after 120 calendar days from the date of the shipment.
- If the package appears to have been lost during transit, you must wait 20 calendar days for domestic shipments or 40 calendar days for international shipments before filing a claim with Shipsurance.
- Complete this form to submit your claim to Shipsurance: https://www.dsiins.com/extclaims/Default.asp?cid=shippo
- You will provide Shipsurance with your email address when filing the claim. Shipsurance will communicate progress with your claim.
- Please be sure to read the Shipsurance Terms of Service if you have any questions about coverage.
- If you'd like to check the status of your claim, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For packages without purchased insurance:
Most carriers include basic liability coverage for some service levels. For more information, please see:
- Carrier Coverage
- Shipping Insurance in Shippo
- USPS Services Including Insurance
- Canada Post Services Including Insurance
If you did not purchase additional insurance through Shipsurance, you will need to contact the carrier directly if you experience any issue with damage, delays, or loss.
- DHL Express (using Shippo’s discounted rates)
- FedEx (if you did not purchase their insurance via the API)
- FedEx (if you purchased their insurance via the API)
- UPS (if you did not purchase their insurance via the API)
- UPS (if you purchased their insurance via the API)
- OnTrac (if you purchased their insurance via the API)
Unsure if you purchased additional insurance through Shipsurance?
You can search for the package on the Shipments Page using the tracking number. You will see "insured" below the rate if additional insurance was purchased.
Carrier Claim Processes
Despite the name "Priority Mail 2-Day," USPS does not guarantee the shipping time of their 2 or 3 day shipping options. They guarantee delivery for only Priority Mail Express shipments, for which you have a Money-Back Guarantee. USPS does not offer this option for their other types of shipments.
- Click here for more details from USPS on Priority Mail delivery times.
If it is within 30 days of when your Priority Mail Express package was shipped, you may take advantage of your Priority Mail Express Money Back Guarantee. Refunds for Priority Mail Express service failures can only be requested and processed at your local Post Office.
- To find more information about refunds through USPS, Follow our guide here.
USPS does not offer any coverage on packages shipped internationally via First Class International, or in a Small Flat Rate Box or Flat Rate Envelope.
- Shippers can file a claim for lost or damaged shipments with USPS here.
DHL Express (using Shippo’s discounted rates)
To request compensation from DHL for a service failure, such as a delayed delivery, a damaged package, or a shipment rejected at customs and returned to you, Shippo must contact DHL on your behalf.
Please refer to DHL Express: Filing a claim.
FedEx (if you did not purchase their insurance via the API)
To request a billing adjustment from FedEx for a service failure, such as a delayed delivery or a damaged package, click here.
FedEx (if you purchased their insurance via the API)
To file a claim for US domestic, international shipments that originated from the US, and Canada shipments to the US, please use the FedEx online claim process.
To file a claim for international shipments originating from outside the US, contact the FedEx International Customer Service at 1.800.463.3339 for assistance.
Make sure to file your claim for damaged or missing contents 60 calendar days from the shipment date for U.S. domestic packages and 21 calendar days from the shipment date for international packages. Non-delivery or misdelivery claims must be filed within nine months of the shipment date.
UPS (Shippo Master Account)
Guaranteed Service Refunds
If UPS did not attempt delivery by the guaranteed date and time (i.e UPS Next Day air was purchased, delivery took 3 business days), your shipment may be eligible for a refund. Please contact email@example.com within 15 calendar days of the scheduled delivery date, with the tracking number.
UPS (Personal Accounts)
To file a claim with UPS, please have your tracking number available and head to their online claims page.
For damaged shipments, see the UPS damaged package claims process.
For lost shipments, see the UPS lost package claims process.
OnTrac (if you purchased their insurance via the API)
To file a claim for a lost or damaged shipment, please submit the Ontrac claims form to the Ontrac Claims Department:
2501 S. Price Road, Suite 201
Chandler, AZ 85286
All claims regarding loss or damage to any shipment must be submitted in writing to OnTrac within 30 days of delivery of the shipment.
To request credit for a late shipment, please submit your requests in writing to OnTrac within 15 days of your invoice date. Please direct all requests for shipping credits to the Billing Department, at 877.227.5139.
Most carriers offer some automatically included insurance depending on the service class of the shipment. If you wish, you can skip purchasing insurance through Shippo for such a shipment, however, you will then need to file any necessary claim through the carrier and not Shippo. Below are the available insurance thresholds:
|USPS||Domestic - Express Mail||$100.00|
|USPS||International- Express Mail||$200.00|