One out of Ten shipments arrive damaged, over 1.7 million packages are lost nationwide every day, and more and more customers say they’re unlikely to repurchase if they had a poor delivery experience. Keep orders safe, and provide a better customer experience by adding shipping insurance to your shipments.
In this guide, learn how to insure your packages with Shippo, guarantee coverage, and discover which items can or cannot be insured in Shippo, and more.
Insuring your Package with Shipsurance
Shippo has partnered with Shipsurance, allowing you quickly (and easily) to add insurance to your labels while purchasing in Shippo!
1. Your item may not qualify for insurance or may require a signature to be insured by Shipsurance. See below to learn if your Item is Insurable through Shipsurance.
2. Proof of acceptance from the carrier will be required. This can be shown in two ways: a) Tracking events on the carrier's website or b) a receipt from the day of drop-off showing the carrier's acceptance of the package.
|We strongly recommend all customers review the Shipsurance Terms of Service here before adding insurance to your shipment.|
How to add Shipsurance to your package
- From the Orders page, click into the Order you would like to insure.
- Click Shipment Extras from the sidebar.
- Click Add next to Shipment Insurance.
- Choose Insurance by Shipsurance.
- Then, give the total value of the items inside the package.
- You will then get a quote for insurance on your package.
- Lastly, select the desired Label.
Adding Shipsurance to any package valued above $500.00 will automatically add a Signature Confirmation to your label. Removing the confirmation may invalidate the insurance coverage.
How much does it cost to insure my package?
The price of insuring your packages depends on your Shippo plan, with a minimum charge of $1.
- Starter Plan rate: 1.25% of declared value.
- Pro/Premier Plan rate: 1% of declared value.
For your package to be covered by Shipsurance, you must follow the adhere to the following packaging requirements:
- Pack your items sufficiently to withstand the everyday rigors of transit. For example, if the item is fragile, pack it with bubble wrap or similar packaging materials to keep the item safe.
- Shipping your item in the manufacturer's packaging will void coverage. Pack your items in packaging that does not advertise the contents inside.
- The shipping address must be correct.
- If the item was damaged or lost during transit, the package must be in marked complete/delivered when the claim is made. The claim may be denied if the item was never sent, is sent back, thrown away, or released to the shipping carrier.
Can my item be Insured with Shipsurance?
Let's be honest. The language around shipping insurance can often be frustrating, misleading, and hard to understand. So, we're laying it all out to eliminate any confusion about purchasing shipping insurance with Shippo.
Chances are, your items can be easily insured from within Shippo. But, to guarantee coverage, your item may demand specific package requirements or require a signature. And, in some cases, your item may not be insurable.
Before purchasing your label with Shipsurance, be sure that Shipsurance will insure the item. Keep in mind that some items may only be insurable with a signature.
Items that are not insured
- Certain electronics with screens
- Computer monitors
- Negotiable papers such as securities or deeds
- Bills, currency, cash in transit, evidence of debt, money orders, cash on delivery (COD), gift cards, and all coins.
- Specific types of glass
- Stained glass
- Plate glass
- Float glass
- Anything deemed to be hazardous per UPS Hazardous Materials List
- Cigarettes, Cigars, or Tobacco Products
- Guns and firearms including:
- Ghost Guns
- 3D printed guns
- Kits for any gun or firearm
- Hemp-derived products and products that contain cannabidiol (CBD)
- Some foods
- Perishable cargo
- Live trees, flowers, plants, or seeds
- Live animals
- Specific fragile items
- Neon items like Neon signs
- Stone or ceramic slabs
- Items shipped in packaging which describes their contents.
Items that require a signature to be insured
Signature confirmation will be automatically added to orders over $500 in value. This can be manually removed as long as the order does not meet any of the criteria listed below
- Computers (and similar electronics listed below - ADULT SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION REQUIRED)
- Desktop Computers
- similar electronics
- Mobile telephones
- Cell Phones
- Smart Phones
- Similar electronics
- Jewelry valued at $1000 or more (ADULT SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION REQUIRED)
- necklaces, earrings, watches, rings, bracelets, broaches, etc
- Parcels or freight with a value of $10,000 (ADULT SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION REQUIRED)
Countries that we cannot Insure Packages to
- Ivory Coast (Cote d’Ivoire)
- North Korea
- Sierra Leone
- Somalia, Sudan
- Any location that would be in violation of any U.S. economic or trade sanctions including OFAC Restricted Countries. For shipments to Russia and other Commonwealth of Independent States countries:
- includes Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Russian Federation, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan
- Coverage ceases upon touchdown of the aircraft at the airport of destination or upon discharge from the overseas vessel at the destination discharge port.
What to do if Shipsurance cannot insure my item?
Shipsurance has more requirements than a carrier, and unfortunately, any company shipping with Shipsurance will have similar limitations you see listed above. Luckily, carriers have different requirements for insuring packages.
If Shipsurance cannot insure your item, your best option is to purchase your label directly through a Carrier (USPS, UPS, DHL, etc.)
|USPS||Domestic - Express Mail||$100.00|
|USPS||International- Express Mail||$200.00|