Introducing: New & Enhanced Shipping Insurance with XCover
Exciting news! Starting September 1, Shippo will move from shipping insurance provider, Shipsurance, over to XCover. We’re happy to share that this move will elevate your shipping insurance experience, allowing you to further protect your bottom line and improve customer satisfaction. Some key benefits include:
- Easy Claims Process: File claims within an online portal and seamlessly track the status of your claim.
- No Minimum Fees: Insurance costs as low as 1.25% of your package value, meaning it only costs pennies to insure a $10 package.
- Porch Piracy Covered: Insure packages against theft from your customer’s doorstep.
- Global Coverage: Packages being shipped anywhere in the world are covered for ultimate peace of mind.
- Branded Packages Covered: Secure your shipments and build your brand at the same time.
|Please see details below on our NEW insurance offerings through XCover|
One out of Ten shipments arrive damaged, over 1.7 million packages are lost nationwide every day, and more and more customers say they’re unlikely to repurchase if they had a poor delivery experience. Keep orders safe, and provide a better customer experience by adding shipping insurance to your shipments.
In this guide, learn how to insure your packages with Shippo, guarantee coverage, and discover which items can or cannot be insured in Shippo, and more.
Insuring your Package with XCover
Shippo has partnered with XCover launching 9/1/2023, allowing you to quickly (and easily) add insurance to your labels while purchasing in Shippo!
- For our customers outside the United States and Canada, insurance coverage through XCover will be available on 9/18/2023.
We strongly recommend all customers review the XCover Terms of Service here before adding insurance to your shipment. Specifically, the section title:
How to add XCover to your package
- From the Orders page, click on the Order you would like to insure.
- Click Shipment Extras from the sidebar.
- Click Add next to Shipment Insurance.
- Choose Insurance by XCover.
- Then, give the total value of the items inside the package.
- You will then get a quote for insurance on your package.
- Lastly, select the desired Label.
How much does it cost to insure my package?
For shipments within the same country, the price of insuring your packages is 1.25% of the insured value. So, for example, if a package is insured for a value of $250, insurance would cost $3.13. For cross-border shipments, the price of insuring your packages is 1.50% of the insured value.
For your package to be covered by XCover, you must adhere to the following packaging requirements:
- Pack your items sufficiently to withstand the everyday rigors of transit. For example, if the item is fragile, pack it with bubble wrap or similar packaging materials to keep the item safe.
Can my item be Insured with XCover?
Let's be honest. The language around shipping insurance can often be frustrating, misleading, and hard to understand. So, we're laying it all out to eliminate any confusion about purchasing shipping insurance with Shippo.
Chances are, your items can be easily insured from within Shippo. But, to guarantee coverage, your item may demand specific package requirements or require a signature. And, in some cases, your item may not be insurable.
Before purchasing your label with XCover, be sure that XCover will insure the item. Keep in mind that some items may only be insurable with a signature and a tracking number.
Items that are not insured
- Perishable items, except wine. Perishables include but are not limited to food, pharmaceuticals, plant matter, or chemicals.
- Laptops, LCDs and TVs are not covered for Damage.
- Precious metals and stones, cash, bullion, securities, or documents.
- Claims resulting from illegality (such as shipping contraband goods).
Please refer to XCover for detailed terms and conditions.
Items that require a signature to be insured
- Jewelry valued at $250 or more will require a signature and a tracking number.
Are any markets or countries restricted?
- Yes. Deliveries to countries on sanction lists from the United Nations, European Union, United Kingdom or the United States are not covered by XCover Protection. To learn more click here.
Filing a Claim for a lost or damaged shipment-
Packages insured by XCover
Filing a claim for a lost and damaged shipment just got easier. When you experience an issue with your insured shipment you can initiate a claim for the loss directly through our web app- saving time and avoiding confusion during the claims process.
- Navigate to your Shipments page within the Shippo Web App and click on the shipment associated with the insurance purchase.
- Within the Shipment Detail side bar, click on “File a Claim”
- Complete the claim form directly on the XCover website.
|First time XCover users will need to activate their account. This is an important step to make any future claim submissions hassle-free. Simply find the XCover confirmation SMS or email in your inbox and click the link to activate your account. The link is secure. Follow the instructions to set up your XCover Account. To learn more- see additional instructions under: How do I activate my XCover account.|
What to do if XCover cannot insure my item?
XCover has more requirements than a carrier, and unfortunately, any company shipping with XCover will have similar limitations you see listed above. Luckily, carriers have different requirements for insuring packages.
Note: If XCover cannot insure your item, your best option is to purchase your label directly through a Carrier (USPS, UPS, DHL, etc.)
|Carrier||Service||Included Coverage Limit|
|DHL Express||International||Weight in kilograms X SDR value X 22|
|USPS||Domestic - Express Mail||$100.00|
|USPS||International- Express Mail||$200.00|