Getting started with Shippo is easy! For quick creation of your first Shippo label, you can follow our Quick Start Guide. Once you’re ready to customize your Shippo account, please view our Complete Account Setup section. You can use the links below to jump to each section and learn more.
Quick Start Guide
To quickly create your first shipping label you’ll need to follow these steps:
1. First, you need orders to print. You can import your orders in three ways.
- Connect Your E-commerce Platform on the E-commerce Channels tab in your Shippo account
- Upload orders via a CSV file
- Create an order manually on your Orders tab
2. Once orders are populating, select “Create label” for an order and input your package dimensions/weight, then click “Select shipping rates”
3. Select your chosen rate and click “Buy label”
4. Enter your billing information to pay for the label -- you’ll be prompted during the label creation flow
5. Download and print your USPS or DHL Express label
Complete Account Setup
To set up your full Shippo account, and optimize your shipping experience, please follow these steps:
1. Enter your Company information on your Company tab. You can navigate to the Company tab by clicking Settings > Company on the left toolbar. The information listed here will be your Company name, website, contact email address, and any social media sites you have.
2. Enter your Address(es) on your Address tab, by clicking Settings > Addresses. This is the address that will be used as your shipping address, and will be used to calculate your shipping rates. If you would like a different return address, you can edit that by clicking the "Edit return address" button. You can also add multiple addresses if you are shipping from multiple locations.
NOTE: If you are connected to Shippo through Shopify, your address(es) will be imported directly from your Shopify account. You can find more information about that here.
3. Enter billing information on your Billing tab if you did not do so through the Quick Setup. You can navigate to the Billing tab by clicking Settings > Account > Billing.
4. Link your e-commerce store with Shippo on your E-commerce Channels tab if you did not do so through the Quick Setup. You can navigate to the E-commerce Channels tab by clicking Settings > E-commerce Channels. Once on the E-commerce Channels tab, locate the storefront you would like to connect, click the green "Connect" button to the right of the store, and enter the required details.
5. Update your General Settings on your General tab in Shippo. You can navigate to the General Settings tab by clicking Settings > Account > General. Here you can opt-in to the new label workflow, and will be able to update your store settings if you are connected to an E-commerce platform.
For Shopify customers there are 2 additional settings that can be enabled on the General Settings tab. These settings are "Send notification to customer via Shopify" and "Fulfill orders on Shopify". If you select these settings Shippo will automatically fulfill the orders in your Shopify store once you create a label in Shippo, and this fulfillment will trigger your Shopify notification email to be sent to your customers.
6. Update your Label settings on your Labels tab by clicking Settings > Labels. Here you will be able to customize your default label formats (e.g label size and packing slips size), add/edit label customizations (e.g text on labels), and select your favorite service level.
NOTE: If you add text to a label this will be printed on all labels until you edit the text again.
NOTE: If you will create return labels often, or if you have a preferred return service level, Shippo offers the ability to save your default return label preferences on your Labels Tab in your Shippo dashboard.
Navigate to your account's Labels tab by clicking Settings > Labels, scroll down to the "create return labels for outbound shipments" section, select a default return carrier and default return service, then click save.
You also have the option to auto-create return labels by clicking the "auto-create return labels for outbound shipments" checkbox if you would like to include a return label with every shipment.
7. Update your Package settings on your Packages tab by clicking Settings > Packages. Here you can edit your default weight/dimension units, create package templates, and set a default package template if you use the same type of package often.
8. Add personal carriers to your Carriers tab by clicking Settings > Carriers. Once on the Carriers tab click "Add Carrier Account", select your carrier from the dropdown, and enter the account details. This will allow your negotiated rates to be displayed to you in Shippo.
NOTE: If you're based outside of the United States, you will need to add a personal carrier account in order to see rates in Shippo. Shippo's DHL and USPS accounts are for shipments from the US only.
9. Set your notification preferences on your Notification tab by clicking Settings > Notifications. Here you can send yourself a sample of your notification emails or opt-in/out of automated email notifications.
10. Ensure you are on the correct plan for your shipping needs by clicking Settings > Account > Plan. If you would like to upgrade to another plan you can do so by clicking the green “Adjust Plan” button.
NOTE: If you are on the PRO or PREMIER plans you will have access to personalize 2 additional settings - Branding and Users. The Branding tab will allow you to add personalized information like company logos, and the users tab will allow you to add multiple users to your account. For more information on each of these features please see the following Help Center Articles:
Shipping Shortcuts to Print Labels Faster
- Batch label creation -- Creating labels in a batch saves you time and gives you a quick label creation turnaround time. The video below will walk you through the batch label creation process.
- Save a Favorite Service Level -- Saving a favorite service level will allow this level/rate (when applicable) to be displayed on step 1 of label creation. Meaning you can enter your dimensions/weight (or select a package template) and create your labels more quickly. Watch the video below to learn more.
- Save Package Templates -- Package templates save you time if you ship using the same packages often. You can set a personalized template as your default alleviating the need to enter package dimensions. Or, save multiple templates so you have easy access to them during label creation.