For PAYG Plan users, please see this Help Center article.
Shipment notification emails are used to inform your customers about the shipment and tracking information for their order.
The shipment notifications can either be sent from Shippo or from your online store. Shippo will help you manage when the notification will be sent and from where.
- Automatically send your customized shipment notification email from Shippo.
- Send your store platform's email notification automatically—triggered by Shippo.
- Send the shipment notification email in Shippo manually at your own discretion.
Note: Shippo offers customers on the Pro and Premier plans the ability to customize and brand their shipment notification emails. Please refer to this article for instructions on adding branding elements to your shipment notification emails.
1. Automated Shipment Notifications sent from Shippo
The easiest way to ensure your customers are notified once their order has shipping/tracking information is to enable the automatic notification in Shippo. When you purchase a label for an order in Shippo, the automated notification email will be sent. Navigate to the Notifications Page by clicking on Settings and then Notifications in the left navigation panel.
You can enable/disable this feature by clicking the Edit link to open the Email Notification Settings box.
- To turn the setting on, check the box to Automatically send shipment notification email after label creation. Click Save.
Set Timing of Email
Notifications will be sent immediately when the shipping label is created for the order; however, you can change this default.
- To delay when the notification email is sent, click the drop-down under How soon after label creation should the email be sent?, and click on your selection. Click Save.
Customize the Email Message
As a Pro or Premier Plan user, you can add your own custom message to your shipment notification email.
- Enter your custom message in the text box in the Email Notification Settings box and click Save. The custom text will appear under the recipient address information on your shipping notification email.
- Note: The customized message will only be included in the email if the Automated email setting is turned on as explained above.
Sample Customized Shipment Notification Email
Once you purchase a label for an order, your customer will automatically (based on your timing settings) receive an email like the one below. You can send yourself a sample email by clicking on Send sample email to my account address on the Notifications Page.
2. Send your Store Platform shipment notification email from your store—triggered by Shippo
If you have customized a shipment notification email in your e-commerce store account, you can choose to have Shippo trigger that email to be sent automatically when you create the label in Shippo.
Note: We recommend only using one automatic method of sending notifications to your customers. Enabling the Automated Shipment Notification in Shippo AND setting up the automation for your Store will result in multiple emails being sent to your customers.
In Shippo, navigate to the Account Settings Page by clicking on Settings and then Account in the left navigation panel. Check the box that says Send notification to customer via Shopify, then click Save Changes. Now, every time you create a shipping label in Shippo for a Shopify order, your Shopify shipment notification email will be sent to your customers automatically.
- Be sure to have Shopify set to Manually Fulfill your orders. If you have Shopify set to "automatically fulfill," this will conflict with Shippo sending the fulfillment and tracking number.
- In order to see whether a notification email has been sent, go to your Shopify Orders page, click on the particular order and scroll down to the bottom. You’ll see a section called History. If the confirmation email was indeed sent, you’ll see a line that reads, "Shipping confirmation email was sent to the customer.”
You can set up your account so that a notification email is sent to the customer when the status of their order changes - you can learn more about that here. That way, once you print a label in Shippo and Shippo marks the order as fulfilled in Bigcommerce, the email will automatically be sent to the customer.
You can set up your account so that a notification email is sent to the customer once an order is processed. You can learn more about that here.
You can set up your WooCommerce account so that a notification email is sent to your customer when the status of their order changes to “completed”—you can learn more about that here.
- Note: WooCommerce does not have a specific field for tracking numbers. When an order is completed, Shippo places the tracking number in the “Order Notes” section of each order. The tracking number will NOT be included in the notification email sent from WooCommerce automatically.
3. Send Shippo's Shipment Notification Email Manually
If you don’t have an e-commerce store and do not want to use automation, you can simply send Shippo’s shipment notification email manually to the customers you choose when you choose. This can be done individually or you can send to group (batch) of orders at one time.
To send the email for a single order on the Orders Page, click the drop-down arrow next to the Fulfilled button and select Send Notification Email. You also have this same option right after creating a label.
To send the email to a group of customers, check the box to the left of each order on the Orders Page that you wish to send the notification to. Then, click on the arrow next to the Create label for selected orders button at the bottom right of the screen. Select Send email notification for selected orders.
Shippo’s notification email will include your customer’s name and shipping address and the tracking number for your customer to track their shipment(s).
The email will be sent to your customer by Shippo on your behalf. While the sender address will be email@example.com, we add your account email address as the "Reply-To" address.