Note: Shippo offers customers on the Pro and Premier plans the ability to customize and brand their shipment notification emails. Please refer to this article for instructions on adding branding elements to your shipment notification emails.
There are a few ways to send shipment notifications to customers through Shippo and all tracking related notification emails, whether sent through Shippo or your online store, include a tracking number for the shipment.
1. The easiest way to ensure your customers are notified once their order has shipping/tracking information is to enable the automatic notification on your account's Settings > Notifications page. You can enable this feature by checking the "Enable automated shipment confirmation emails" box, then click "save".
Once you purchase a label for an order, your customer will automatically receive an email like the one below:
(In this case, the text
2. Separately, if you have an e-commerce store connection, you can choose to have Shippo send the shipping notification email you've customized in your e-commerce store account.
Note: We recommend only using one automatic method of sending notifications to your customers. Turning the Auto Email Notification 'On' within your account's General Settings tab and following any of the below steps will result in multiple emails being sent to your customers.
- For Shopify users, go to your settings in Shippo, and check the box that says "Send notification to customer via Shopify," then click "Save changes." Once you do that, every time you create a shipping label in Shippo, the customized notification email you set up in your Shopify account will be sent to your customers.
- Please make sure that you have Shopify set to "manually fulfill" your orders. If you have Shopify set to "automatically fulfill," this will conflict with Shippo sending the fulfillment and tracking number.
- In order to see whether a notification email has been sent, go to your Shopify Orders page, click on the particular order and scroll down to the bottom. You’ll see a section called History. If the confirmation email was indeed sent, you’ll see a line that reads, "Shipping confirmation email was sent to the customer.”
- For Bigcommerce users, you can set up your account so that a notification email is sent to the customer when the status of their order changes - you can learn more about that here. That way, once you print a label in Shippo and Shippo marks the order as fulfilled in Bigcommerce, the email will automatically be sent to the customer.
- For Magento users, you can set up your account so that a notification email is sent to the customer once an order is processed. You can learn more about that here.
- For WooCommerce users, you can set up your WooCommerce account so that a notification email is sent to your customer when the status of their order changes to “completed” - you can learn more about that here.
- Please note that WooCommerce does not have a specific field for tracking numbers. When an order is completed, Shippo places the tracking number in the “Order Notes” section of each order. The tracking number will not be included in the notification email sent from WooCommerce automatically.
3. If you don’t have an e-commerce store or prefer to send Shippo’s email notification, you can manually send the notification in your Shippo account. You can do this for individual orders or batches of orders.
To send the email for an individual order, click the drop-down arrow on the blue "Print Label" button and select "Send notification email.” You also have this same option right after creating a label.
To send the email to a group of customers, select the orders you'd like to send the notification for, and then choose "Send email notification for selected orders" from the green drop-down menu at the top of the page.
Shippo’s notification email will include your customer’s name and shipping address and the tracking number for your customer to track their shipment(s).
The email will be sent to your customer by Shippo on your behalf. While the sender address will be email@example.com, we add your account address as the "Reply To" address.