A customs declaration is required, without exception, for all International Shipments. Certain shipments require documents can be sent electronically, which is known as Paperless Trade (PLT). PLT helps your package arrive at its destination more quickly thanks to reduced inspection time at Customs.
For general background on Paperless Trade, we recommend reading this Wikipedia article.
How PLT works within Shippo
Shippo supports Paperless Trade for FedEx, UPS, and DHL Express. When creating a shipment that is eligible for PLT, Shippo will automatically submit the necessary signed Commercial Invoice electronically and will not require you to print out Commercial Invoices for your packages.
- Shippo collects all required information for customs declaration including the Signee for document submission. Please see Customs Declarations for details.
- If the submission was unsuccessful, you will see this message and will need to attach a commercial invoice as normal:
It's important to note:
- This message will always return for UPS shipments created under Shippo's Master UPS Account.
- Shippo's Master UPS account does not currently support PLT.
- If you are using a personal UPS account that is set up for PLT, as long as EDI (Electronic Data Interface) prints on the label, you can be rest assured that the information has been sent.
If a shipment is NOT eligible for PLT, it is crucial that the commercial invoice is printed and attached to your package. Failure to do so can result in returned or discarded packages.
Countries Eligible for PLT
For a list of countries eligible for PLT, please refer to the list appropriate to your selected carrier: