CSV files are useful if you need to upload a large amount of information to create a batch of labels. They're great for users whose e-commerce stores Shippo does not yet connect with.
Here’s the process:
- Create your CSV file. This can be done either in Google Sheets or in Excel. Download our sample CSV file to see how to format your file. *See bottom for list of Required, Recommended & Optional fields*
- Once your CSV has been created, click the Import CSV button in the upper right corner of the Orders tab.
- You can either drag your CSV file to the box or click on Select File to browse your computer for the file.
- Match the column titles in your CSV with ours. Our system will process most of the obvious ones, but please verify that all the fields are mapped correctly!
- Once you’ve uploaded your file, you’ll receive a summary message via email identifying how many of your orders were successfully and unsuccessfully uploaded. Error message(s) are included outlining any errors in the file.
- If there are errors, please edit your CSV and re-upload the orders that included errors.
- You will also have the option of saving the field mappings as a template for future CSV uploads. This makes all subsequent uploads a streamlined process.
NOTE: if you have multiple orders that have the same order number, even if they have unique values for customer name, address, etc., they will be uploaded as a single "order" in Shippo. Only the address of the first row will be saved on the order. Please be sure to use unique order numbers to distinguish your orders!
- Required Fields:
- Recipient name
- Street line 1
- Postal/Zip code: For the few countries that don't have zip codes i.e. Hong Kong and Ireland, import a dummy code, e.g. 00000.
- State: U.S. domestic shipments require a two-letter state code. See here for a complete listing of state abbreviations in the US.
- Country: The country code must be a 2-character abbreviation. See here for a list.
- Recipient email: If you don’t have your customer’s email, enter your own email.
- *Phone number: Please note this is only required if you are shipping internationally via FedEx, UPS, or USPS PM Express. If you don't know the customer's phone number, enter your own.
- Recommended Fields:
- State: Some countries other than the U.S. require state information. See here for details.
- Order number: Using order numbers will help you identify each order; you can display them on the packing slips and shipping labels.
- Total order weight & Total order weight unit: importing these two values will pre-fill the package weight and allows for bulk label creation with differing weights. The weight value must be a number, the unit needs to be “oz,” “g,” “lb,” or “kg.”
- Order date: The format must be
YYYY-MM-DD, e.g. If you want December 12, 2019 as the creation date for an order, you would input:
- Optional fields:
- Company name
- Street line 2
- Street number: Only required for DHL Germany shipments. DHL Germany requires the house number (or apartment number) to be separated from the street name. For all other cases, it can be part of Street line 1.
- Total order price & Order currency: Price must be given as a number, currency as the three-character abbreviation, e.g. USD.
- Item title
- Item quantity
- SKU number
- Price per item & Item price currency: Same as Order price and Order currency.
- Weight per item & Weight unit: These can be used as substitutes (or in addition) to the Total order weight. If both of these are included, then the weight fields will be pre-filled. Please note that the same format restrictions apply as for the Total order weight.